Friday, June 5, 2015

Gardening Update

Things are coming up green! All of the seeds we planted are starting to poke their heads up above the soil, save for the Munstead lavender and the rosemary(which we knew was a long shot anyway).
Behold the current (partial) lineup!
You will note there are 3 new pots. That's because we went back to Target for some beach gear and I noticed some different, cute pots in the dollar section. I grabbed them, hoping perhaps there would be rosemary seeds in THIS Target, as there's 2 in the area about equal distance away.
Turns out the great rosemary seed search is in vain, as there was not a single packet to be found. I feel more responsible for plants I've grown from seed for some reason, so that was kind of a bummer. HOWEVER! We also found some cilantro seeds this time, and some watermelon and pumpkin seeds. I thought those would be fun to try out. I have actually grown watermelon in the past and had a nice sized one growing on my upper deck before a bastard squirrel chewed a cavern in to it. Grrr... So I'm pretty sure we can duplicate the success.
I've also decided that even though we'll be in an apartment for the rest of the summer and a chunk of winter, I was growing most of my stuff on the deck anyway. There's plenty of room and sunshine for all of that so I'm just going ahead with plans to grow starts and keep my seedlings and treelings growing strong.
To that end, I decided to start some sweet potato slips, thusly-

And once those are ready to go, I'll get a tall pot for them like I'm doing with the Pet Potato and grow me a stack of deliciousness on the back porch.
I made a trip to Trader Joe's to get snacks for Girlchild and noted they were selling herb starts. There was a singular pot of rosemary left, thus answering my question about the missing rosemary. It is just THAT popular! It and a pot of lemon verbena came home and are perched on our neglected grill out back.
In the meantime I'm hoping that we find a permanent place to move in to with lots of light, great soil, and room for a greenhouse somewhere out back. We'll need it for all the veggies and fruits I've got going!

No comments:

Post a Comment