Monday, May 11, 2015

Creativity Roundup

Recently I acquired an Ott Light for my birthday, in order to work on painting and drawing in the evenings after my daughter has gone to bed. She's wide awake during the good sunshine, so I never get to use that. Thus, it's been a life saver.
I've started taking one hour every evening to mess around with watercolors in an attempt to try new styles and improve my skillset. I paint with a travel watercolor set on postcard-sized watercolor paper in an attempt to do something quick and make the most of a limited pallet. So far it's been really fun and really re-awakened my creativity! I'm going to expand this in the future to include other things I love, like Zentangles, inkwashes, acrylics... heck, even some oils once everything is back out of storage!
So far, this is what I've managed with my time in the evenings. Each was done in one night, and yeah, it probably shows.

On top of this, though, I have a crazy yen for terrariums. I had one when I was little, lots of ferns and small plants collected in the woods out back of our house and stored in an empty coke bottle... this was back when the base was made from a dark, solid plastic and you could cut the clear part off, fill the bottom with dirt, then nestle the clear top back over it. I loved that thing dearly. I don't remember exactly what became of it, but seeing as I don't recall having it much longer than a summer, I'm guessing something happened and it didn't survive.
To this day I still want to put plants in to small, protected spaces and arrange them like they're miniature worlds. Worlds that I really want to put plastic dinosaurs and maybe an ugly faerie or two in to. (Pretty faeries get all the press). So today, realizing I had a hen-and-chicks plant going crazy with offshoots out on my back porch, I decided to make a very tiny one.


That little chick in the middle is actually the size of a nickel, and the jar is a very small jelly jar snagged for a dollar at a craft store. I already had al of the other things on hand to create it. I really like how adorable and simple it is.
In the future I'm planning on making a Savage Garden terrarium with carnivorous plants, as it's something I've been wanting to do for, oh, YEARS now. And I'm feeling super earthmother-y at the moment, probably due to incoming baby and spring. I'll do a step-by-step of that when it happens. This one was so fun, I just rushed through and finished it without taking any "how to" photos.
That's all that we've been doing around here so far this week, but there should be more to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment